Alternative Names: Philcade Building
Address: 501-511 South Boston Avenue
Height: 167.00 feet
The Amoco North Building (originally known as the Philcade Building) was designed by architect Leon B. Senter during a downtown construction boom for prominent Tulsa oilman Waite Phillips, who also originally owned the nearby Philtower Building.
Constructed between 1929 and 1931, the structure is one of Tulsa’s many Art Deco treasures. In 1937, after Phillips donated his Philbrook mansion home to the City of Tulsa, the oil baron converted the top floor of Philcade into a luxury penthouse.
The Philcade and the Philtower buildings are connected by a subterranean tunnel built in 1929 that runs 80 feet long beneath 5th Street. While the tunnel was used to move freight between the two buildings, it is rumored that Phillips also used the tunnel as a security measure to protect him as he walked between home and work.
Phillips allegedly feared he might be kidnapped by gangsters and held for ransom.
The Philcade was renamed the Stanolind Building during World War II in 1942 after the company purchased the building from Phillips. It became the Amoco North Building after Amoco (formerly Standard Oil, founded by businessman and philanthropist John D. Rockefeller) consolidated its assets under the Amoco name.
While the building is officially known as Amoco North, locals often refer to the historic structure as Philcade. The building was added to the National Register on September 18, 1986.